Terms of Reference Senior Development Officer – Foundations and Corporations
Position Location: Preference for Geneva, Switzerland with possibility of remote working, Europe-based or North America.
General Terms of Reference
This is a career opportunity at the leading edge of global climate change and sustainability solutions.
Gold Standard is a civil society NGO, standards body, and thought leader that promotes the best that can be achieved in climate and development projects. It was established in 2003 by WWF and other international NGOs as a best practice standard to ensure projects that reduced carbon emissions also delivered credible, high-integrity sustainable development benefits. In close collaboration with its network of partners (civil society, governments, and private sector), Gold Standard leads several global innovation programs and supports 2000+ climate and development projects in over 80 countries worldwide.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Senior Development Officer – Foundations and Corporations works closely with program teams to support the impact and growth of Gold Standard programs through grant funding from foundation and corporate donors.
- Development strategy: support the Director of Development in formulation, monitoring, revision, and reporting of the organization’s development strategy, with emphasis on the role of foundation and corporate donors.
- Donor portfolio: responsibility for management and growth of a portfolio of foundation and corporate donors. Tasks will include donor research and tracking on behalf of programs, events, and new ideas; identify and recommend key alliances for program team follow-up; identify and register on bid lists and RFP notifications; donor requirements review and compliance; inform programs of proposal timing, announcements, and grant cycle; research past and peer grants by donor; serve as donor contact for development issues.
- Donor engagement: lead initial outreach to prospective corporate and foundation donors. In the event of follow-up, integrate respective program team and support their engagement and follow-up, including: organise meetings, input on meeting collateral, ensure documentation of meetings, outcomes and action items are communicated and followed-up upon within the team; lead ongoing donor stewardship, promotion, recognition, participation, and retention.
- Program support and donor alignment: support the program teams with business development elements for foundation and corporate donors during new program design, including: fund raising strategies for emerging program ideas, align program USP with donor priorities and opportunities, donor segmentation, case statement, and fund raising collateral. Liaise with program teams on donor compliance throughout project implementation and close out.
- Proposal management: lead proposal process and support the program teams throughout proposal preparation, support, and grant onboarding process, including: concept note, MOU and NDA development in the case of collaborations, proposal and budget support to ensure integration of communications, operations, and fund raising elements, management of grant writers and/or budget contractors as needed, lead document version control and tracking. Provide support on final reports to ensure donor compliance and complete records.
- Systems and process: overall responsibility to maintain records and systems for real-time status tracking of development activities, including: ideas and proposals in development, submitted, pending, declined, and approved, active projects (with reporting deadlines), past projects. Maintain a repository of standard proposal collateral (team qualifications, past projects, templates, checklists, etc.).
- Experience working with foundation and/or corporate sector donors.
- Experience in fund raising, including: donor research, proposal development, and donor engagement and stewardship.
- Topical familiarity in climate finance or sustainability finance is strongly preferred.
- Experience managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Familiarity with fund raising tools and systems, such as CRM.
- High energy and passion for our vision and mission is essential. Desire to grow a career in Development / fund raising is strongly preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside GSF. Positive attitude
- Bachelor's degree required.
Applications for this role will close on 05.11.2021. Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.